Legal counselling

Are you in a legal dilemma and require an impartial perspective  

LGBT+ Denmark’s counselling has a special legal team that can help you with legal matters. The team consists of law students with experience in the legal issues associated with life as an LGBT+ person. 

The practicalities

We reply by email during opening hours, but during busy periods it can be more than a week before you receive an answer. You can also call or visit us at LGBT+ Denmark’s premises in Copenhagen. Write an email in advance if you wish to speak to one of our legal advisors by phone or in person . In this way, we ensure that time is devoted to your specific questions. Please also note if you wish counselling in English so we can ensure the necessary language skills are available. 

Opening hours
Thursday 18:00 to 20:00 – book time by email for phone conversation or attendance 

Vestergade 18E, 4th floor, 1456 København K 
Tlf.: 33 13 19 48  

We know your rights

LGBT+ people can sometimes find themselves in some unique legal situations. This is not least because legislation on, for example, parenthood and transrights are regularly updated. Therefore, it can be difficult as a private individual to always fully understand their  own rights. 

The following are examples of topics and questions that our legal team has helped with in the past.   

  • Discrimination and hate crimes
    What do I do if I’m harassed at workWhat are my opportunities to report discrimination? How do I report a hate crime? 
  • Parenthood 
    Can I not give the name of my child’s fatherWhat rights do I have as a co-mother? Can I adopt my partner’s child? Do I have the same opportunity to adopt as heterosexualsWhat are the possibilities for surrogacy in Denmark? What should I be aware of when I become pregnant by insemination? 
  • Marriage and cohabitation
    How do we best secure each other as cohabitants? Can my foreign partner stay in Denmark? Who inherits what from me if I’m not married or registered? How do I transform my registered partnership into marriage? How do I divorce my spouse? 
  • Legal sex
    How do I apply for legal gender reassignmentWhat are my name change options?